Mindful Awareness Practices (MAPs) are the signature evidenced-based educational programs of the Mindful Awareness Research Center (UCLA). This MAPS (Level 1) class lays the foundation for students to understand basic principles of mindfulness, develop a personal meditation practice, and to apply the principles in their daily life on an ongoing bases.
- We meet live online weekly for two hours per week for six (6) weeks includes online breakout rooms.
- Each class is a combination of lecture, practice, and group feedback and discussion. The course centers building community through dialogue.
- Students are invited to complete some daily meditation practice starting at five minutes a day and working up to 20 minutes daily by the end of the course.
- Students receive weekly handouts.
Overview of Mindfulness, Mindfulness of the Body, Obstacles to Mindfulness, Mindfulness to help with Physical Pain, Working with Emotions, Mindful Interactions
Sitting Meditation, Eating Meditation, Daily Life Meditations, Movement Meditation (walking etc,), Practices to Develop Positive Emotions, Relational Mindfulness
when: Six WEDNESDAYS, 6 – 8 p.m. PDt, May 12 – June 16
WHERE: online zoom classroom
This class is suitable for everyone – those who are new to mindfulness and those have previous experience. All bodies and abilities are welcome. There are many ways for students in this class to “succeed.” Exercises are suitable for all bodies. MAPs is helpful for people of all backgrounds and religions. These classes are suitable for ages 16 and over.
TO REGISTER & PAY: Send an email to “email@example.com” & send payment via Venmo: @ProfessorYep
- $165 COVID 19 rate
- $200 General
- TMF/IPP students email me for registration
- Economic hardship rate offered on a case by cases basis. I invite you to contact me if the minimum fee is not viable and you want to participate. Please submit any requests at least 72 hours (3 days) before class start date. To pay a different amount or to pay in installments email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Living well beyond cancer, Dr. Yep (we/she/her) is a fourth-generation Chinese American and the granddaughter of the late Marie Lee, Franche Yep, and Gim Yep. She has practiced mindfulness in Thích Nhất Hạnh’s Plum Village tradition and qi gong (mindful movement) for over twenty-five years. In addition to being a tenured Full Professor at the Claremont Colleges, Dr. Yep completed the year-long facilitator training at UCLA’s Mindful Awareness Research Center in 2018 under the direction of Diana Winston, Dr. Susan Smalley, Dr. Dan Siegel, Dr. Marvin Belzer, and Dr. Matthew Brensilver. As a MARC authorized affiliated MAPs Teacher, she incorporates asset-based and body/mind/heart approaches to teaching.
TESTIMONIALS FROM PAST STUDENTS
“Don’t be afraid to speak up. Topics can be…difficult to process, but Kathy is always there to help support and guide you through your thinking. As she would put it, ‘just let your thoughts marinate’.”
“Kathy is warm, calming, and friendly. She breaks complex ideas into easily digestible ways. She makes everyone feel welcome.”
“If you need clarification, don’t be afraid to ask…. Even if you don’t usually participate in class, you will want to for this class. the nature of the discussion and the way Kathy runs her classes gets everyone involved.”
REFUND & CANCELLATION POLICY
- Refund requests must be received two weeks before the first day of class. We regret that we cannot give refunds after this date. A $25 administrative refund fee applies. Send refund request within the timeframe and by email to: email@example.com.
- MARC.UCLA reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. Registrants will be notified in advance of the class.
- No refunds or credits are given to registrant “no-shows”.
MAPS are an excellent introduction to mindfulness for clinicians. Continuing Education credits (CEs) are available for psychologists and nurses in most US states. Please email to confirm that the CEs will work for where you are licensed prior to registration. You are invited to contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding the continuing education credit for this class. Additional administrative fees beyond the course enrollment cost may apply.